Redwing Farmstay Accomodation | Moonta | Yorke Peninsula
We were recently lucky enough to enjoy a two night stay at Redwing Farmstay – a beautiful, family focused farm an easy 2hour drive from Adelaide at the top of Yorke Peninsula. Located just out of Moonta, this beautifully appointed farm accommodation is perfect for families, in a great location and certain to become a regular for our family. We stayed in ‘Redwing Barn’ – one of the two accommodation options available at Redwing Farmstay, run by the lovely Nicola and Damien.
The highlights we loved were:
- All the friendly, gentle animals who love hand feeding.
- McGee the gorgeous border collie.
- The superbly renovated, well appointed accommodation.
- The lovely owners Nicola and Damien who go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your stay. Damien had the kids following like the Pied Piper when he went out feeding all the animals.
- The location – proximity to Adelaide (1hr 45min) and lots of family friendly places nearby.
- Heaps more – read on for all the info…
The farm animals are obviously a large part of the drawcard of Redwing Farmstay and they certainly will not disappoint. Young kids are often intimidated by the larger farm animals but the locals here are both gentle and friendly. Redwing Barn has an elevated deck which is perfect for animal watching, with sheep and cows that come right up to the fence out the front – especially if you feed them! There are two small Dexter cows, Ranga and Caesar, plus a big black and white Friesian (milk) cow called Godfrey. The kids loved seeing real milk cows just like on the milk bottles and the cows were very appreciative of some fresh fruit scraps that we gave them daily.
Just down the driveway from Redwing Barn, over the back fence of Redwing Shearer’s Cottage are where the friendly goats, sheep and pigs reside. We were lucky to be there when the wonderfully friendly owners were doing the feeding rounds one morning and the kids got to see the pigs (Pig Pig and Ingrid!), sheep, goats and others all being fed which was a great excitement. Close by are the chickens, rooster, geese and ducks all housed securely in their run – with a great egg collection area that even the young kids can view and collect the eggs. (I have a sneaky suspicion the owners make sure there are always a few eggs in there for the kids!).
The animal highlights for our family were the two dogs – in particular the young, fun, and gorgeous McGee the 2 year old Border Collie. The dogs were within the house fences when we were there, but the kids were stoked to be told that we could let McGee out to run around with us for as long as we like. Hence, McGee accompanied us for hours of wandering around the farm, collecting firewood for the combustion fire and feeding all the animals. The other favourite were the two donkeys Menindie and Banksy who are a lovely, inquisitive pair happy to gently take carrots from the kids. Even our rather shy 4 year old was confident enough to hand feed the donkeys here at Redwing Farmstay.
Redwing is a real, working farm so they have fields of crops and herds of sheep or cattle across their 4,000 acres. They make sure they bring a few sheep in for the kids to see, in addition the friendly ‘house animals’. We went for a few walks with McGee and showed the kids the fields of grains growing and I even learnt that the farm is currently growing lentils – a first seen for me 🙂
Luxury isn’t something that comes to mind when you think about farmstays, but Redwing isn’t your basic shearer’s accommodation. The entire Barn was spotless on arrival, the kitchen is stocked with all the essentials and the whole place it kitted out to make your stay an easy and comfortable experience. The weather during our August stay was a bit chilly overnight but the house was stocked with everything for building a fire that soon created a beautiful, cozy atmosphere through the whole Barn (plus there is an efficient split cycle heater/cooler if needed). The bathroom looks brand new and boasts a huge spa that could easily fit three kids to wash off the ‘farm life’ at the end of a busy day! With inclusions like fans in the bedrooms, a private BBQ for each house, nespresso machine and pods, a huge fire pit and feed for the animals, there really is nothing the hosts haven’t included to make sure you love your stay here.
In addition to Redwing Barn, there is also the ‘Redwing Shearer’s Cottage’ accommodation onsite – another gorgeous two bedroom renovated building with its own lounge, kitchen/dining, bathroom with spa bath, laundry, enclosed yard and front rose garden. Both options provide wonderful family accommodation options with queen bed in one room and 2 singles (or 1 King) in the other with the option of a rollaway if needed.
- The local beaches in the area are perfect for young families. I remember endless days at the beach and rock hopping in my youth and it’s wonderful to see those beaches just as perfect for my kids now.
- Moonta, about 20min drive from Redwing Farmstay, is a lovely town to visit. With a pleasant Main Street, all the basics, plus a few of our faves listed below.
- Nicola gave us a hot tip about the great coffee at Taste The Yorke – across Moonta’s main street from the cute shop The Miners Couch – both are definitely worth the visit
- Coffee Barn and Gelateria Moonta – a great, character filled eatery with top picks: breakfast crepes and (surprise!) gelato! Sadly closed on our most recent visit between July-September but outside those times don’t miss it.
- Capellas was the recommended dining spots with kids and it didn’t disappoint. Quick service, tasty pasta and well made pizza in Moonta’s Main Street.
- Splash Town is a fun filled FREE water park at Moonta Beach open for the summer period.
- Wallaroo has a huge, brand new, enclosed swimming enclosure down on the foreshore. The floating swimming area includes pontoons, wave reduction features and Cafe Mia that overlooks the whole area. Stage two of the development will include water slides that drop into the enclosure!
- Moonta Mines is a great afternoon out for the family – especially those fond of trains or history. In addition to the Mines Museum there is an informative small train ride that takes visitors on a 50min journey showing the area and history – and the little Moonta Old Lolly Shop on site!
If you’ve been looking for somewhere to take the family, a place nearby that the kids will love and learn from, then be sure to book a few nights here at Redwing Farmstay. We will certainly be back and would love to book with another family – one accommodation per family – so that we can share the fun with others. You wont be disappointed, but book early because they are popular.
For more information and to book head to: http://www.redwingfarmstay.com.au/
email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0408 252 128<
Address: 226 Pipeline Rd, Weetulta SA 5573(near Moonta)