SA Rocks is a nature play based free activity that anyone can join in with. A giant game of hide and seek, for kids and adults alike! We love it because it’s free to play, great for all ages and IDEAL for the school holidays!
Easy! All it takes is a little bit of creativity, decorate a rock, a coat of sealant and your good to go! Here are some tips:
- Use unpolished clean dry rocks. Natural river stones are perfect. Glass and ceramic ones are not advisable as they can shatter when dropped resulting in injury.
- Acrylic paints & permanent markers work best.
- Rocks must be sealed prior to release so they hold up to the elements.
- Please make sure you write “SA ROCKS” and the [f] Facebook symbol on the back and seal it so people know what to do with their discovery and how to join in!
- Pop your postcode on the rock so people can see how far its travelled!
Jump on the SA Rocks Facebook page and search for your suburb name, or local park name, to see if anything has been hidden there recently – just use the search bar at the top of the group page. Be sure to check comments for updates before you head off to avoid potentially looking for a rock that has already been found and moved.
If you’re lucky enough to find a rock make sure you share your find with the SA Rocks community by posting it on their Facebook page. Then you can either;
Rehide it. You can do this at the same location or move it elsewhere. Be sure to let us know you’ve found it and repost the new location INCLUDING SUBURB on this page when hidden OR
Keep it, and leave a comment on the ‘hide’ post advising its no longer there, and be sure to keep the wild rock population thriving by hiding your own painted rock somewhere else.
The school holidays is the perfect time to start your decorating and head outside and enjoy the sunshine. A great way to get the kids off the screens and out into nature.
SA Rocks – Bringing the local community together, one rock at a time!