Tonsley Open Day – The Future At Your Finger Tips
Adelaide SA 5042
It’s time to open Tonsley’s doors and showcase the amazing open space and innovative businesses and organisations housed within this once-fenced-off 61-hectare site.
In 2008, the last car rolled off the Mitsubishi manufacturing line at Tonsley. Ten years on, the site has been transformed into Australia’s most awarded innovation district.
In partnership with Science Alive! This free family-friendly event will give members of the public the opportunity to see, hear and touch the innovations and technologies being developed or utilised at Tonsley.
The future at your fingertips The Tonsley Open Day will be held in the ionic Main Assembly Building, known as the MAB. The event will bring future technologies into your hands and offers hours of fun, enjoyment and learning to suit all ages.
Discover Tonsley Throughout the day you will be able to:
- Join in for a tour of Tonsley and find out how it came to be Australia’s most awarded innovation district
- Take a ride on FLEX, the Flinders Express driverless busTry a tasty HydroDog cooked on a hydrogen-powered BBQ, thanks to the Australian Gas Infrastructure Group and the Rotary Club of Tonsley
- Be transported to another world with a Virtual Reality Gaming station managed by Ignite VR
- Get a free home energy bill health check by ZEN Energy.
- Pre-book now to secure your spot! Go for a spin in myCar’s 100% electric Tesla Model X with its stylish Falcon Wings (upwards opening doors)
- Explore TAFE SA’s amazing main street at Tonsley and get hands-on with a fun range of activities reflecting the broad range of training it offers
- See Micro-X’s Carestream DRX Revolution Nano, the world’s most advanced portable x-ray imaging system
- Master the skies in the Drone Zone managed by FPVR Drone Racing League. Have a go yourself and then let the pros show you how its done!
- Take a tour through LifeLab, the Global Centre for Modern Ageing’s world-class living laboratory
- Have a hit of squash in Squash SA’s 24/7 all-glass squash court
- Meet Baxter, resident robot in Flinders University’s Tonsley Manufacturing Innovation Hub
- Take a look through ZEISS’ ultra-modern facilities and check out the technologies that make them the leaders in optics and optoelectronics
- Be mesmerised by the Voxon, the worlds’ most advanced 3D volumetric display
- Jump inside a Humanihut shelter and use VR to see how they can be used to help people at their time of greatest need
- Ride a City of Marion blender bike and make your own fruit smoothie
- Take a step back in time and admire a number of classic Chryslers that were built at Tonsley several decades ago
- Speak with the Tonsley Village team to find out about the appealing terrace homes and apartments on offer.
Throughout the day you can:
- Get wiring in a SciWorld Robotics workshop
- Slime it up at the ever-popular SciWorld Slime making stand
- Create huge smoke rings with two Smoke Cannons
- Get a green thumb with the Junior Field Naturalists nature activities
- Watch out for the Daleks built by the Australian Dalek Builders Union
- Learn about invertebrates at the Bugs n Slugs stand
- Gaze in wonder in the SciWorld Digital Starlab
- Incredible stage shows in the MAB throughout the day will include Dr Quark’s Scientific Circus and the SciWorld Explosive Science Show.
Special guest, South Aussie with Cosi will be at the Tonsley Open Day. We can learn about and celebrate some remarkable South Australian people, businesses, technologies and innovations. Who better to join us in this endeavour than South Australia’s own Cosi? Throughout the event Cosi will visit various stands and broadcast their impressive and inspiring stories back to the main stage.
Sounds like a pretty action packed innovative FREE family day out to us!
Find out more at